by Natalie Baker, LMHC, Psychotherapist and Advanced Neurofeedback trainer
When you decide to give a family member’s brain a boost from neurofeedback—whether it’s an ADHD child or your anxious partner—enhance effectivenss by training yourself too!
1. Two is better than one! We are pack animals and betas follow the alpha. When an “alpha” member (hopefully you read: parent) trains it helps the “beta” brains and boosts the effectiveness of their training. Why? Think of tuning forks that are close together. They will resonate at the same pitch. Mom and Dad’s nervous systems are a powerful ‘tuning fork’ for kids. If their brains train and come into regulation—that calm, focused, playful ‘pitch’—it is much easier for the child’s nervous system to resonate at that pitch.
2. Put neurofeedback training on the schedule. The most common ‘complaint’ I hear when clients return a rental machine is “I loved it. I just wish we had trained more!” Like anything we want to accomplish in our busy lives: if it’s not on the schedule it won’t happen. Make it a realistic time when you can count on 45 minutes of free time. And make sure that second family member is on a schedule too!
3. Make training a reward. Bill, a successful entrepreneur, who rented a home neurofeedback system, never missed a session. He told himself that during his training time he didn’t have to accomplish anything else. It became the two times during the week when he truly let himself relax. A gift to his brain and his go-getter mind!
4. Listen to your body and get sleep. After ten sessions a client said to me, “Natalie, since starting I’m noticing how exhausted my body is. All I want to do is sleep!” This observation is common and some people try to push through it and maintain their 6 hours of sleep a night, while others yield and get more rest. Remember: a main purpose of sleep is to give the brain time to remove toxins that have built up throughout the day. Your brain is asking for what it needs to optimize it’s functioning. Please listen!
5. Get the toxins out of your life and replace them with nutrients. The brain is only as effective as the building blocks it has to build and repair its roads and highways. One main toxin in our lives is sugar. The vitamin we’re often depleted in is Vitamin D—essential for our cheerful disposition. A trained brain becomes a better communicator of its needs. Pay attention you may have thoughts like: maybe I should do that cleanse I was thinking about. Or I should get a physical and check on my vitamin levels. A great place to start is on Dr. Hymen’s website.
** NEW Reduced-rate clinic hours
Train on Saturdays with our new technician, Alex Lambert. Rate: $95/session. Call Alex at 347-674-7601 to set up your appointment.
Natalie is certified as an advanced NeurOptimal® neurofeedback trainer and is the founder of Neurofeedback NY. She has been working as a psychotherapist since 1999 and has been a practicing Buddhist since 1991. Given her Western training in psychology and psychotherapy and her Eastern training in Buddhism and meditation, Natalie brings a broader perspective to mental health and well-being. Learn more
Neurofeedback Sessions are 50 minutes, $200 w/ Natalie, Advanced trainer and $125 w/ Heather, Certified Neuroptimal Trainer
80 E 11Th St., Suite 310, New York, NY 10003
Call 347-708-6177 to schedule an appointment with Heather
Call 347-860-4778 to schedule an appointment with Natalie